The American Council of Hypnotherapist Examiners requires continuing education for re-certification in a manner similar to other groups in the Healing Arts and Counseling Professions.
These new guidelines are effective for the next renewal period ending 12/31/17.
Guidance for Continuing Education
ACHE registrants are required to engage in a minimum of 30 hours CE in each two-year registration period. ACHE seeks to encourage registrants to engage in diverse educational activities to keep their knowledge and skills updated and to continue their development as hypnotherapists and growing individuals. Suitable CE activities are:
- Attending as a student at training courses in topics relevant to practice as a hypnotherapist. A training course is differentiated from a lecture or information imparting as in 2. below, by including a facility for synchronous interaction between student and trainer, such as coaching, feedback and live demonstration and practice. Such courses may be online or in-person attendance. Proof required.
- Attending as a student at lectures/information imparting formats in subjects relevant to practice as a hypnotherapist. Relevant subjects may include but are not limited to: hypnotic techniques; practical and theoretical knowledge relevant to understanding human thinking, feeling and behaviour; ethics and legal matters; marketing and presentation of hypnotherapy practice. Such courses may be online or in-person attendance. Proof required.
- Attending as a student at conferences and seminars on topics relevant to the practice of hypnotherapy. These may be online or in-person attendance. Proof required.
- Home study of audio, film, books and manuals relevant to practice as a hypnotherapist. These may be either in traditional format, or downloaded/accessed via the internet. Proof required.
- Delivering information about hypnotherapy by writing published articles, books or research papers. These may be online or in print. Proof required.
- Preparing and delivering training courses, lectures, conference presentations and seminars on hypnotherapy. These may be online or in-person attendance. Proof required.
- Participating in groups with other therapists for peer review and practice reflection. Such groups may communicate in-person or online or in a blended format. Proof required.
- Contributing to the hypnotherapy profession by activities such as providing voluntary services to professional bodies. Proof required.
- Waiver/Partial waiver: You may qualify for a waiver if there has been a health or financial issue. Please briefly describe your situation when you renew.
It is recommended that registrants engage in CE activities over a minimum of four categories. If there are particular circumstances where this may prove difficult, please provide a brief account of the circumstances when renewing registration.